Construction activities have begun at the Baraga site (A.J. Mihm Generating Station) and the Negaunee site (F.D. Kuester Generating Station).
- Workers will work up to 10-hour shifts six days per week, including Saturdays.
- Shifts will begin at 7 a.m. and end between 3:30 and 5:30 p.m.
- Workers may arrive on site as early as 6 a.m.
Construction crew traffic will increase through July when it may reach up to 200 vehicles per day. In the fall, peak traffic will drop about 20 percent and remain steady until the end of the year. Large-truck traffic, including concrete trucks, semi-trucks and other delivery vehicles will increase. The number of large vehicles will vary from day to day, but may be up to several dozen per day.
For the safety of local drivers as well as construction vehicle drivers, traffic control measures will be coordinated and implemented, with the assistance of local law enforcement, during high-traffic activities, such as major concrete pours or engine/generator delivery.
- Constructing engine hall.
- Installing platforms and equipment.
- Conducting grading and underground work, including placement of conduit sections and concrete duct banks.
- Erecting stacks.
- Electrical infrastructure to be installed.
- Engines to be moved into engine hall after building construction is complete.